Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Patriotic or Ethnocentric?


 Today is the 4th of July, and not just any 4th of July- the 4th of July of a presidential election year.  So, political spirits and patriotic feelings have been high and in full form even apart from the 4th.

  To be fair and utterly upfront, I don't like politics.  Alright- I kinda hate politics.  And I think that's okay.  My Biblical responsibility in relation to politics is to respect and pray for my government.  I'm not called to a political party or agenda.  I'm not commanded to picket.  I'm not commanded to care;)

I tend to hate politics because of the ugly ways it makes us behave, and the level of importance we give it that it just isn't due.  Specifically among Christianity, I feel there can be a tendency to be Americans first, and Christians second (as if you can really "be" a Christian if it's not your full, overwhelming identity).  We forget that "American" is a temporary citizenship and our true King is Jesus.  And Jesus is not an American;)

Secondly, I also tend to hate politics because people's behavior completely confuses me.  With one breath we're "proud to be Americans" and the next we're trash-talking our President and leaders and griping over our lack of morals.  We're die-hard Americans when it comes to comparing us to those "other" countries out there and making sure our tags claim Made in the USA.  But when it comes to each other here, we're not proud to be Americans- we're proud to be Republicans.  Or Democrats.  Or part of the NRA.  

I can think of no presidential campaign ad this year that hasn't made me groan, or even LOL in cases;)  

The gas prices go up, it's because of them. They go down, it's thanks to us.  We're always right; they're always wrong.  Period.

So yeah, politics confuse me because perspective is a funny thing.  

I can tend to hate politics because I think we often label ourselves "patriotic" when we're really just "ethnocentric".  To clarify, some definitions: 

"Patriotic: of, like, suitable for, or characteristic of a patriot".  That could be more helpful;) So, to add the definition of a patriot...
"Patriot: a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion."
"Ethnocentric: the belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture."  

  Often under the guise of "patriotism" we put down other countries and people of other nationalities.  That's not patriotism.  


  If we're truly patriotic then maybe our trash-talking needs to be reeled in.  Maybe the mockery and snide comments need to go away.  Maybe we need to disagree in kinder, more respectful ways.
  
  Maybe, we can be Christians.  Remembering that Jesus loves the world.  The world.  And we don't live in a Christian nation.  We need to let that one go.  But we, WE, are to be Christians.  Above being a political party.  Above pushing an agenda.  Or fighting someone else's.


  And so while our flags wave high and our votes get ready to be cast, I ask:  are we truly patriotic, or merely ethnocentric?  And are we, above all, Christians?


1 comment: