Tuesday, December 18, 2012

God, Guns, and Peace on Earth

I was out Christmas and grocery shopping when I heard about the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. First, I sat in horror in my car in a parking lot, crying and praying with no words.

Then, as I finished my errands, everything I did seemed crass.  Buying presents.  Buying food.  All with a sick stomach.

The terrifying events in Newtown broke my heart, as it did all of us; but it did and continues to hit me in a special, devastatingly deep way; one, because I'm a mother; but also because I spent 3 years working in an elementary school, specifically in kindergarten and 1st grade.

I thought, specifically, on several occasions, that since I worked at an elementary school I did not need to worry about there ever being a shooting there.  Because who would... why would they... how could they...

It sickens me that that shows that shootings in schools of older children had lost a level of surprise to me.

But elementary.

First grade.

20 children.  20 babies.

In elementary school, the kids have such a sense of wonder.  It's their first tastes of education.  And they are so, so excited about it.

As I listened to the news, images of past students ran through my mind.  I saw the school's hallways and pictured these tiny, innocent ones...

Right before Christmas.

How, how could anyone do that.  Who but Satan himself could DO that.

I can't imagine.  You send your kid to 1st grade and you worry they'll fall on the playground.  Or drop their lunch.  Or maybe move their behavior chart to a straight face instead of a smile.

You don't worry they'll be gunned down in their cute little classrooms.  With their tiny desks and short chairs.  For their small selves.

It's ironic that my last blog post on here is "10 Biblical Responses to Evil".  I certainly stand by them, and must unless I want to argue the Bible (I don't).  But they sure are hard to swallow right now.


God

This tragedy doesn't make me mad at God at all.  It doesn't make me doubt Him.  It doesn't make me wonder where He was.

God was there.  God was protecting.  God was crying and mourning.

It makes me mad at Satan.  I rightfully blame him. The one who enjoyed it.  The one who takes pleasure in it.  The source of such sick, dark, evil.  Satan, walking about seeking those who he can devour (1 Peter 5:8).  Satan, the very enemy of the precious God I serve.  Praise Jesus, in the end Satan and his deceptive team will be forever cast into the Lake of Fire! (Revelation 20:10)

I've sadly seen comments such as Fischer's and Huckabee's that we shouldn't be surprised at such a tragedy in a school, because we shove God out of our schools and society, and this is what happens without God.  I find this not only false, but self-righteous and highly insensitive.  First of all, we must remember Job.  Job was walking so well with God that God bragged about him (Job 1:8).  Yet God allowed mass destruction in Job's life.  There are many other testimonies of faithful Christians who have gone through tragedies.

There may not be led prayer in schools, but I've seen plenty of students on their own praying in schools and have even seen Bible studies meeting in schools.  I'm sure there's cases where there's more prayer and Bible reading happening in the public schools then there are in some Christian homes.

Also, who knows the spiritual states of these actual families?

Mike Huckabee was specifically asked "Why would God let this happen?" and I believe, even with his follow-up comments, he utterly missed an opportunity to show compassion and grace.  In some ways I was left still wondering what exactly he meant in his comments.  If he intends to mean "bad things happen because we're bad" then that's not helpful.  If he intends to mean that it's a contradiction to want God now, when we didn't want him before, then sure, of course; but who of us isn't like that?  Who of us hasn't polished up our prayer life and devotional walk after something bad happens to us?

We should be grateful that while it may be contradictory, many now are looking for God... many are going to prayer vigils... many are asking where He was.  What great opportunities for Christians to share Christ.

The only sin to blame here is the shooter's.  If you want to talk about a lack of following God, let's talk about his.  It's not the time to point fingers at our schools and society.  It's the time to show compassion, grace, and love; it's the time to take the question "why did God let this happen?" very seriously and answer it very sensitively and carefully.  It's a question if we're honest, we all wonder at to a point.


But God was there.

Blame the devil.

Love and pray for our nation, our schools, and Newtown.


Guns

I beg you first of all, to keep an open mind.  I used to think more gun control wasn't an answer either- but after doing some careful reading and thinking after Friday's events I came to some new conclusions.  

If we do not pause now and seriously reconsider our gun laws, then what will it take?

Hear me clear: "pause and seriously reconsider".  That's all I'm asking.  I'm not saying ban all guns.  I'm saying, if some crazy 20 year old guy is legalized in having an assault rifle, goes into an elementary school, and blasts away a bunch of 1st graders, and that doesn't make us pause and reconsider our laws, then what will?? If we can't even stop and rethink it through, then I believe we are being irresponsible and arrogant.

I've heard the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument.  To me that's like saying cigarettes don't give cancer, people do.  Or heroin doesn't make people high; people do.  Well let's just legalize heroin and sell it at Walmart too.  Someone I know made the great point that if "guns don't kill people, people do" then guns don't protect people either, people do.  You can't claim you need a gun for protection but not recognize the part it plays in killings.

Hear me out, I know that guns are merely a tool that can be used for good or evil.  I know that people that shoot people are ultimately RESPONSIBLE, period.  But the easy accessibility to such weapons to people who want to kill people is what troubles me.  Something's wrong.  We have to ask ourselves, how's it working for us?

I also have heard the point that stricter gun laws will only keep the good guys from having guns; the bad guys will still get guns, because they don't care about laws anyways.  Should we really make laws based on that type of thinking... the-bad-guys-will-do-it-anyways-thinking?  With that thinking, a lot of things could become legalized.  Cause hey, bad guys will do it anyways, so why make the law?  Scary path, if you ask me.  The reasons for our laws are not only to try to keep people from doing certain things, but it's also to take the stand that such a thing is illegal even if it is done.  Wouldn't it be nice if when things like this happened we could say at least the bad guys weren't legally ok-ed to have such weapons?  Need I remind us this was an ASSAULT RIFLE.  Our laws MUST be re-examined because something is WRONG if someone in that mental state would get an assault rifle.  Also, the main "good guys" are our law enforcement- no one's saying they shouldn't have guns.

There are approximately 20 mass shootings a year.  Guns are just a tool... but they're being used and abused for a lot of evil; and we have the responsibility, the duty, to step up and see what laws need to be tweaked and what limits need to be put in place to try our best to lessen these occurrences.

I actually have read a few people stating that we need to arm teachers and school staff with guns.  Are you kidding me.  I am trying so hard to maintain respect here... but that to me is utterly absurd.  Let's bring a bunch of weapons in and store them around classrooms and children for the just-in-case.  Let's give everyone in the school guns.  Let's trust out teachers with guns and hope THEY aren't gonna end up being a bad guy.  Let's make a horrible situation more horrible.  A possible bloodbath more bloody in the meantime.

One other point on this:  right or wrong, I don't think it's the best time to defend our gun laws.  Shopping malls, movie theaters, elementary schools...  It just might not be the best time to defend our gun laws.  Maybe we can just agree to pause, and reconsider them.



Peace on Earth

I read an amazing article that asks the question, have we finally had enough?  He makes the point that we roll around in violence all the time, and then are horrified at such shootings.  Our entertainment is filled with misery and gore; our songs can be horror-filled; and "games" and things we "play" are often nothing but darkness.

We spend millions and millions of dollars making movies, and then spend millions and millions of dollars to watch such movies, that we would never, ever want to have actually happen.  We entertain ourselves by feeling terrified and grossed-out.

Why?  It's true that people love darkness more than light (John 3:19).  We love tasting it and toying with it.  We play with fire.

And then it burns us.

I'll be totally honest, I am seriously rethinking some of my entertainment choices.  Some things shouldn't be enjoyed, even if it's "only" an imagined story.

We say we want peace on earth; and as Christians we are commanded to seek it.  So let's seek it, in everything we watch, everything we listen to, everything we say, everything we do.

A song I can't seem to stop listening to since last Friday:





No comments:

Post a Comment