Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Coming out of the political closet... Why I'm not voting.

So I have my lil (or not-so-lil) to-do list here today.  And what's not on it is to vote.

Cause I'm not voting today.

I'd love to explain why:

1.  I don't trust/support the process or the candidates: 

The whole voting process to me is flawed and sketchy.  From the electoral college, to the sleezy ads on TV, I find the whole process unstable and shady.

I feel equally hesitant of both candidates.

If someone told me to pick between which cheek of mine they were gonna slap, I wouldn't.  Even though I know they're gonna slap me in the face anyways.  Even though they might tell me it's a privilege to get to pick- I know it'd be silly for me to pick.  It'd be silly because I don't want either cheek slapped.  If i give in and just pick one, I then had part in that cheek being slapped.  I'd find it more fitting to refuse to pick, knowing someone else will still pick for me, but then it was totally 100% "out of my hands" when they slap me.

That's how I feel about voting this year.  I have major concerns for both candidates.  I do not feel supportive of either candidate.  By voting for one, I feel that shows support.  I can't in good conscience vote for either.  Sure, no presidential candidate will ever be the "perfect" candidate, but that's not what I'm waiting for.  I'm waiting for one I may disagree in areas on, but don't have such major concerns for.  One that I can feel a lot more confident about then I do this year.  So yes, picking between the two candidates to me would be like picking which side of the face to get slapped on.  I'm not gonna pick that.  People say, "If you don't vote, you can't complain"- which I think is a terrible, and silly thing to say.  As if voting earns you the right to complain?  Maybe we should just not complain no matter what;)  Anyways, imagine if I voted for a certain candidate even though I didn't feel good about it, and then that candidate does indeed end up doing harm to this country and being a less-then-great leader.  And I voted for them.  Talk about not being able to complain.  "Yeah, I knew I didn't feel good when I voted for this guy, but I voted anyways cause that's what people do."  Yeah, really can't complain for sure then.  And I personally just wouldn't want that on my conscience.


2.  Voting is a privilege; and so is not voting:

I've heard the point made that we should vote because it's a privilege, and a lot of people in the world don't have that privilege.  True, and great point.  But not voting is a privilege too.  There are countries where people are forced to vote.  We live in a great country that gives us the freedom to vote or not to vote.  So not voting for me is just as much a use of my freedom as voting is.

3.  I've yet to be convinced that I should vote:

I've heard several explanations and arguments about why one should vote, and I've yet to be convinced.  Granted there are many good and fair reasons, but none that I feel accurately explain why one MUST vote.

One argues that "one candidate will win no matter what, so you mine as well have a say."  No, I don't want a say.  Remember the cheek slapping analogy?  I don't want a say in this.

I don't see the point in just voting for the sake of voting.  It seems a lot of the pro-voting agenda I've heard is just that.  Pro-voting.  I need to be pro-candidate.

An argument that I have heard that I feel is fair and solid is that one should still vote then, but for a third party candidate.  One can even write a name.  This I respect.  This I "get".  But I feel the same point can be made by not voting.  By voting for someone other than the main two, you're saying "I don't want either", even though you recognize the minuscule chance that that other name will win.  I'm registered to vote.  Maybe by not voting I can send a message also that says "I don't want either candidate, and I don't want a part in this process."  Maybe if everyone who was registered to vote and felt such similar hesitations didn't vote it would send this message louder.  And we could stand a chance of causing pause and gaining notice from our government that maybe this voting process is due for a make-over.

I'm tired, very tired, of hearing that it's one's responsibility to vote.  No, it's not.  It's not legally my responsibility.  It's not morally my responsibility.  It's not biblically my responsibility.  I do have many responsibilities in these areas though...

4.  I believe there are political, moral and Biblical responsibilities I can and should focus on:

I've blogged before about what our role as Christians is politically, so feel free to read more deeply there.

I have a political, moral, and biblical duty to obey laws that are not contradictory to God. (Titus 3:1, Rom. 13:1,5)

I have a political, moral, and biblical duty to respect my president. (Rom. 13:7)

I have a biblical duty to pray for my nation, president, and other leaders. (1 Tim. 2:1,2)

I have a biblical duty to not be afraid. (Deut. 13:6; Ps. 27:1; Is. 41:10,13; Rom. 8:15; 2 Cor. 4:7-10; 2 Tim. 1:7; Heb. 13:5, 6; etc.)

I have a biblical duty to not slander or dishonor anyone, but to be edifying in all speech and conduct. (Eph. 4:29; 1 Thess. 5:11; Titus 3:2; 1 Cor. 13:5; 1 Pt. 3:13,14; etc.)

I have a biblical duty to seek peace, unity, humility, and love (Eph. 4:2,3; Col. 3:14; Titus 3:2; Rom. 12:16; 1 Cor. 13:4; 2 Tim. 2:24-26; etc.)


Unfortunately, while we get so caught up in voting, we seem to compromise some of the above.  Politics surely seem to bring out the worst in us.  This is the one time in four years that I cringe when I see red, white, and blue because often accompanied are insults and elitism.  But God tells us to be humble and gentle and loving.  I've seen Christians make statements of "I'm afraid of what will happen if..." a certain president becomes elected.  But we're not to be afraid!

The passion and urgency we show in telling one another to vote, we should show in telling one another to pray for whoever becomes our president and that God would help us to respect him.  And we need to be urgent and passionate about revival happening in America, something Christians must begin with the Spirit's power.

Neither candidate can destroy or save this country.  God alone can do that.

Today I'm not voting.  Not because I'm lazy.  Not because I'm unpatriotic.  Not because I'm apathetic. Because I can't vote in good conscience, and I am personally compelled to purposefully not vote.  I don't at all judge those who are voting today; I don't think voting is wrong.  It's just not right for me this year.




1 comment:

  1. Where there no local candidates on your ballot this time? Our ballot here in MI was HUGE (it was at least 7in longer than the voting privacy envelope with a million local elections and 6 proposals for our state constitution.

    ReplyDelete