Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Seek the Living

It's been a few weeks since my last blog, and I must admit it might be because of the attention my Baby Hart blog is getting from me;)  Baby Hart has definitely been a marvelous part of life and has added deeper meaning to so many things.  One of those things was Easter this year.  My absolute favorite holiday is Easter; the beauty and power of the cross and empty tomb never cease to blow me away.  I am amazed at what Jesus did for me.  This year, Easter took on a whole new meaning as I celebrated what Jesus did for my son! 


     Another new lesson that hit me this Easter came from a passage I've heard many times.  Among the different Scripture that was read on Sunday morning, Luke 24:1-6 was read:

"But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel.  And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen."
              
...Why do you seek the living among the dead?...


This question that was asked of these women so long ago, took on a whole new and current meaning to me.  How often do we seek the living among the dead?  How often do I??  We seek "the living"... satisfaction, joy, fulfillment, abundance... among "the dead" instead of looking to the living Christ.  "The dead" we search can be anything from straight up sinful habits like drugs and promiscuity; to "good" things, such as our jobs, relationships, hobbies, etc. that could be tools used by and for "the living" if we were ultimately seeking Him. "The dead" we search among can even be our churches as we seek religious status, as we go through the motions, and put on a show without having a TRULY cultivated, personal, abiding walk with Christ.


And so we "seek the living among the dead" and find ourselves lifeless, unsatisfied, and cold.  Dead.


Jesus offers us "living water" (John 7:38) and "abundant life".  We need to stop seeking the living among the dead... stop looking in at empty tombs and missing what's above.  It's time to surrender and accept the living water and abundant life Christ is offering us, not just for eternity, but for today... for here... for now.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great insight! Very thoughtful application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so encouraging! It was hard this year not being in the service for Easter- I really missed it! I've never thought of this passage in that way! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete